Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – What Is It?
Have you ever heard of chronic fatigue syndrome?
When you have chronic fatigue syndrome, your nervous system gets affected. You have extreme fatigue in this condition. You will feel very tired quite often even if you have been sitting all day. There are also other symptoms.
The exact cause of the chronic fatigue syndrome is not known to doctors even and there is no easy cure for it. However, there are certain treatments that can be helpful.
Symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome and the diagnosis
Unexplained tiredness is the most common symptom and it can be accompanied by headaches, joint pain, muscle pain, poor concentration, sore throat, loss of memory, enlarged lymph nodes and an unusual tired feeling post workout.
You might have only tiredness or it may be accompanied by a few/all of the symptoms mentioned above. For some, the symptoms are mild, and for others they can be intense.
Talking about how to get it diagnosed, a single test does not exist. Your doctor will diagnose chronic fatigue syndrome on the basis of your symptoms and how long you have been having them. The doctor may also ask you to get some tests done to rule out other causes of the symptoms. A person can be diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome only after he or she has had the symptoms for more than 6 months.
How to manage the symptoms?
In order to manage the symptoms, you need to do the following:
- Take as much rest as possible
- Go to sleep at the same time each night and avoid taking naps during the day time.
- You need to reduce your activity levels even if you feel good as there are more chances of getting exhausted. Also, try to maintain a consistent pace in your daily activity.
- Say no to alcohol, caffeine, nicotine or any other drug that can hamper with your sleep.
The most likely treatments that your doctor will suggest are as follows:
1) If you feel depressed, the doctor might give you medicines for depression. To help you sleep well at night, he/she might also give you pills.
2) The doctor might suggest psychological counseling too.
3) You may undergo cognitive behavioural therapy.
4) You will be asked to do gentle graded exercise, which refers to trying out various exercises that suit you well and increase activity levels only when ready.
The cure for CFS is not simple. All the treatments meant for it are for making you mentally, physically and emotionally stronger. As already mentioned the doctor will ask you to consult other specialists like a psychologist and a physical therapist.
You also need to beware of any commercial product or treatment that claims to cure chronic fatigue syndrome.
Discuss your concerns of handling work and the illness with the doctor so that he/she helps you out to make your life easy.
Please note that the above information is for general purposes and does take precedence to the advice of a registered medical practitioner.
Hope you found this post on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome useful!
You may also like reading-
- Innovative Wellness And Health Trends
- Infrared Sauna – How Good Is It?
- 8 Easy Steps To Get Rid Of Negativity
- 7 Health Benefits Of Abdominal Massage
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – What Is It? published first on https://olimpsportnutritionuk.tumblr.com/